Great news! Believe and Read is coming to Cathedral School during the 2023-2024 school year!
Believe and Read is generously funded by the Catholic Schools Center of Excellence and in partnership with Groves Learning Organization, a national leader in literacy instruction. This transformative initiative will bring the Groves methodology to Cathedral School through outstanding professional development and teacher coaching. Our goal is to ensure that every student reads at or above grade level by fourth grade.
All students who participate in Believe and Read will benefit — struggling readers become proficient, and good readers become great ones! Assessment results comparing fall 2021 to winter 2022 progress show that 92.9% of Catholic school students using Believe and Read were above the average improvement rate in oral reading fluency, an essential indicator of growth.
How Believe and Read works:
• Coaches from Groves Literacy Partnerships will work with our teachers (K-2 in year one, and K-3 starting year two) over a three-year period using a “train the trainer” model.
• In addition to their regular reading lessons, teachers will incorporate a daily 30-minute phonics-based lesson to ensure students are grasping the reading rules they’ll need to achieve fluency.
• Many of the lesson plans are scripted, so teachers will know exactly how and when to introduce each letter, along with its sounds, and how to build up to words from there.
• These lessons use a multisensory approach that explicitly teaches the connections between letters and sounds.
• Our teachers will get weekly support and feedback from their literacy coach, along with assistance in tracking student progress through routine assessments.
If you would like to chat about Believe and Read or learn more about the program, feel free to contact us!